Kale and Chickpea Stew
Servings: 2 servings
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 shallot minced
* 2 cloves garlic minced
* 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed (16 oz)
* 2 teaspoons fresh thyme * 1 can Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz
* 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
* 1/2 cup shredded vegetarian parmesan
* 2 cups chopped kale about 4 ounces
* Parsley for topping
* Salt to taste
* Pepper to taste
1. In a large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and let cook until tender and fragrant. Add garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Next, pour in chick peas and let cook one to two minutes.Then add diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and parmesan. Bring to a boil then add in chopped kale. Stir, reduce heat, and let cook until the kale is wilted, about 5 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley and parmesan.
Tips & Tricks: You can easily use dried herbs instead of fresh. Reduce the amount to 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
Use a microplane zester to shred the parmesan so it melts and incorporates into the broth.